Thursday, November 27, 2014

November 27, IVF

IVF Post transfer, 2 weeks 5 days

This morning Dennis & I arrived to the clinic at 11:03am after a slightly stressful drive from downtown (I took a wrong turn and we ended up driving around in a circle). 
After arriving we were brought into the back room IVF area, where I went for the retrieval as well, we were given a room as well as robes to put on. We dressed into the robes, Dennis had to wear a smock over his clothes, a blue tissue hat, as well as booties over his shoes and my socks (sock buddy socks for the big day).

We were brought into the OR room around 11:15am, where the nurse prepped us on what to expect from the procedure. By this time I was already feeling uncomfortable with my full bladder and had to void, but drank another 2 glasses thereafter which didnt seem to be a problem for the transfer. 

Dr Green came in the room to meet with us around 11:23am, I really like him. Dennis does too- he did our information session and has done a few ultrasounds for me. He has always been very kind, gentle; Dennis remembers him as being funny, I just appreciate his warmth and compassion- I can feel it. 

We were also greeted by an embryologist who seemed nice and reassuring however, didnt provide much information. He indicated that we have 2 embryos frozen (today) and there will possibly be more tomorrow that are ready for freezing. We will receive a call tomorrow morning about the day 6 embryos. They chose the best Blast to transfer today, however, at this stage if they make it to blast theyre good to go. 

Shortly after the greetings we were asked to confirm our names on our petri dish, and then we got going. The doctor inserted a speculum and cleaned my cervix. Thereafter, the embryologist provided the doctor with the embryo (unbeknownst to me) which Dr Green inserted via a catheter. They traced the embryo on an ultrasound screen to ensure proper positioning. Dr Green indicated that we have a very high chance of success, everything looks great, and better than expected. Fingers crossed!

I wasnt aware that the transfer was happening, and when it was over I was surprised. Dennis was aware of everything that was going on. Maybe I was a bit dazed staring at the ultrasound screen and trying to get into a zen state (thanks to rescue remedy). The whole process took approximately 5 minutes, it was very quick. Normally it takes 15 minutes. The process wasnt at all painful, although I was emotional. Dennis was there beside me the whole time holding my arm. Afterward we laughed because he wanted to hold my hand but I was too focused on the screen and trying to zenify myself. 

I was asked to lie still for 10 minute after so that the embryo can settle. I was concerned to move or get up after 10 minutes as it takes 24 hours for the embryo to burrow itself and begin to implant, within that time it kind of floats around.
Dr Green explained to me that when the embryo is inserted it's hypothetically like a bean placed between two warm blankets, so not a void or a hole. 
I am planning to spend the rest of the day relaxing, watching Netflix (right now Im watching 21 Jump Street - Thanks Alli for the suggestion and your support & love) and reading. I have also been listening to zen youtube videos for implantation. Dennis thinks this is hilarious and voodoo. I thought I had to be on bed rest for 24 hours, and some people recommend that, but everyone at the clinic indicated that I just need to take it easy. 

Right now I am considered 2 weeks & 5 days pregnant (a blast stage is considered that far along). I have a blood test, pregnancy test ordered for December 10th, so hopefully we'll have some good news for my Birthday (Dec 15) & Christmas. My favorite time of the year! 

Special thanks to my lovely Mom for her unconditional support and love, and for being here with me at the beginning of our IVF treatment.

Thank you Kylie, for your understanding, love, and for being "there". Also for the beautiful "I Choose Hope" inspirational art. 

Many thanks to Trinity for making me laugh out loud today, my Aunty Bobby for always being there!

Thank you to Alli, Steph, Alyson, Brandi, Lacy, Lynssy, Mike, Adena, and Krista for being there, even from a distance :) I believe in the power of positive intention. 

Thank you to everyone who is supporting, following, sending out positive energy and vibes. I have been feeling so supported, and encouraged by you all and am so grateful. The next 24 hours are crucial, so if you are able to continue having us in your thoughts or prayers occasionally, in a positive light I would greatly appreciate that. 


a perfectly formed "blast"

"I Choose Hope", from Kylie Louise <3



Sock buddy love






1 comment:

  1. I'm just catching up, but as I was meditating this morning, you were in my thoughts and I sent our white light and hope, then I came in and read your wonderful news. I am so happy for you both. Blessings and so much love to you and this new small person. I love you.

    ReplyDelete